What is NDTA?
The National Defense Transportation Association (NDTA) is an educational, non-profit, world-wide organization, equipped to combine the transportation industry's manpower and skills with the expertise of those in the government and military to achieve the mutual objective of a strong and responsive transportation capability.
NDTA links all segments of the transportation industry through its 76 chapters in cities throughout the United States and in 10 countries. The association membership -- totaling more than 8,000 -- represents users, manufacturers, mode carriers, information technology and related military, government and civil interests.
NDTA coordinates programs and activities among commercial industry executives and their counterparts in the government and military. This is accomplished through special committees, which design action programs in emergency transportation preparedness, government advisory assistance and research.
NDTA committees offer assistance to U.S. government agencies, such as the Department of Defense and its components, the Department of Transportation, the American Red Cross and the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
Objectives of NDTA
1. To provide a common forum to discuss and endorse programs that promote transportation preparedness for economic and security needs.
2. To provide active assistance, in a non-partisan capacity, to government agencies involved in peacetime and defense preparedness transportation planning.
3. To serve as a link between government and industry to obtain the needed cooperation and support necessary for strong and efficient transportation systems.
4. To assist in the transportation education of young executives who plan to pursue a career in transportation through our NDTA Foundation and mentoring.
5. To support continued reliance on the private enterprise systems of ownership and operation of transportation.
6. To support, conduct and assist programs of transportation education and scientific research and development among private, industrial, educational and government agencies, which are designed to increase the effectiveness, economy and responsiveness of the transportation industry and allied services to defense needs.
7. To foster a spirit of patriotic and cooperative goodwill, cooperative endeavor and mutual understanding among its members, industrial entities, components of the transportation industry, the Armed Forces and government agencies concerned with transportation.
NDTA in Action
NDTA chapters assist state, city and local governments, at their request, in planning transportation support for domestic emergencies.
Under the NDTA banner, teams of transport executives offer their commercial know-how to agencies of the federal government. This industry/government partnership has produced significant findings on major transport problems.
European Transportation Conference
Each year, NDTA Europe sponsors a three-day conference for transport executives. As a member, you are eligible to attend these popular and informative sessions at reduced rates.
Annual Data Forum and Exposition
Held in different metropolitan areas within the United States, NDTA sponsors panel discussions with international transportation, logistics and domestic/foreign policy authorities on major national and international transportation and logistics issues. Some 50-100 corporations usually exhibit at these forums.
National Functional Committees
NDTA has seven national committees: Military Airlift, Military Sealift, Distribution, Security, Surface Transportation, Transportation Technology and Passenger Travel Services. The National Airlift Policy statement signed by President Reagan in June 1987 had its genesis in the Military Airlift Committee. The Military Sealift Committee forged a coalition of Maritime Industry to develop a National Sealift policy statement. The Transportation Technology Committee provides a forum and sounding board for national defense transportation technological needs and opportunities, while the Surface Transportation Committee addresses the problems related thereto.